Wednesday, May 25, 2005

History Lesson

I missed this last night...
crossover appeal like Van Exel

Because I was at Lincoln Center watching "We Jam Econo," the Minutemen documentary.
Me and D. Boon... playin' guitar.

Sasha Frere-Jones recently wrote on-line that that the movie's first five minutes are the saddest of any rock movie ever (he also used his platform at the New Yorker to promote the screening - causing my ass to have to wait outside in the freezing-ass pissy rain in the stand-by line for over an hour before I got in.)

Anyway, he's right. Although sad might not be the best word. I'd say more like poignant or bittersweet or something. (Then again, what do I know? I'm not the one writing at the New Yorker.) It's just so obvious what a beautiful person D. Boon was and what immense love Mike Watt had for him, and, to resort to cliche, there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

The movie is a mix between all kinds of amazing archival live footage and dozens of recent interviews with everyone from old Pedro punks to the guy from Wire to Thurston Moore to a morbidly obese J. Mascis (whose mere appearance garnered the biggest laugh of the night), and of course - the centerpiece - Watt himself.

I can't recommend this movie enough. The makers were there and said a DVD should be out this fall (including a bonus disc with three entire live shows,) but see it in a theater if you get the chance. It's better loud.

Comments:
It just played Houston at Rice. I don't think Austin is happening. Not until official release at least. I'm surprised it didn't play SXSW. Maybe it wasn't ready in time or something.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?